Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Taylored Expressions March Studio Challenge

Please scroll down for my Your Next Stamp Sneak Peek!
 



Hello!  It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge!  This is a monthly opportunity for the Taylored Expressions team to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more:)  This month's question is:


You oughta be in pictures!!
We all love to share our completed projects with others on our blogs and in on-line galleries. So, when the stamping ends, the photography begins. This is a fun step for some and a frustrating one for others. How is it for you?
Tell us how you get those beautiful project photos.

Well, I have a very simple process I use to take and edit my photos:)  Let's start with the set up:



I almost always add a little stitching to my projects, so I set up my sewing machine on our dining room table. When it's time to take my picture, I simply use two sheets of cardstock for my backdrop which I prop against the sewing machine.  



I use light from the window for my pictures when I can, and if it's dark outside I use the same set up with my Ott Light.  My camera is a Canon PowerShot and I always use the Macro setting when taking pictures of my cards.



Once I upload the pictures, I use Picasa to edit them.  Picasa is a free program that I downloaded about 3 years ago, and it is so easy to use!  I almost always use the Auto Contrast, Auto Color, and the Crop buttons.  Then I go to the second screen and use the Highlight and Shadow sliders. 


Then I save my picture, open it in Photoshop, and add my watermark.  It's probably a little goofy, to use two different editing programs, but that's how I roll:)


For my card today, I just had to use this adorable Basket Full Set once more before Easter!  This darling chick with the eggs is my favorite:)  I stamped the basket and chick image with Memento Tuxedo Black and colored with Copics.  I cut it out and layered it on top of a frame that I cut with Oval Nestabilities.  The green panel was cut with the new Banner Stacklets 2 Dies~LOVE~ and I also used the new Open Scallop Border Die.  Here's a look at the inside:


I just love this sentiment!  I cut a frame with the Label Stacklets 1 Dies and stamped my sentiment in the center.  The dp I used on my card is Echo Park Paper Co. Sweet Girl.  

I hope you've enjoyed a peek into my picture taking and photo editing process! I can't wait to read tips from the rest of the girls!  Make sure you check them out too:)
 
Carole Burrage
Charmaine Ikach
Jen Shults
Kerri Mchaud
Lynnette Kauffman
Sankari Wegman
Shannon White
Shelly Mercado
Stephanie Kraft
Tammie Edgerton
Taylor VanBruggen
Wanda Guess
 
Thank you so much for stopping by and have a great day!
 
Kerri
Recipe:
Stamps:  Taylored Expressions Basket Full
Paper:  SU Pink Pirouette, Echo Park Paper Co. Sweet Girl
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics, SU So Saffron for sponging
Accessories:  Taylored Expressions Banner Stacklets 2 Dies, Open Scallop Border Die, Label Stacklets 1 Dies, Oval Nestabilities, Foam Squares, Sewing Machine, Woodgrain Impression Plate, Ribbon
 

11 comments:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Adorable card, Kerri and I LOVE your setup. . .simple and effective!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerri! I LOVE your card for today! I am really enjoying seeing a peek behind the scenes at everyone's set up. I never thought to use Picasa - great tip!!! Have a wonderful day!

Cindi said...

Yay! Someone else with my camera. Your card is gorgeous and your tips are awesome. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Sweet card, Kerri! Loved reading about your setup!

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Kerri.

Hugs Riet.xx

Natalie said...

Adorable card! Thanks for sharing your process!!

Shannon White said...

Darling Card Kerri!! And love your photo set up! And I use 2 progams for my photos too.. lol ;-)

Hugs
Shannon

Oma said...

I take pics of my cards the same way you do and I also have a Canon and also use the macro setting. I also edit my photo in Picasa 3.

Sabrina said...

What an adorable card! Great set up. Simple easy. Sounds good to me too.

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Love That Chick!!! :>) So cute :>)

Shelly said...

Adorable card, Kerri! Love reading about your setup too, it's been an eye opener to see all the different ways we take our pictures!

Follow Us @soratemplates